...the existential consequences of assuming Cartesian doubt, the method of modern philosophy, to its last consequences.
Was There Really A Star of Bethlehem?
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
In this fascinating video from CNS, Jesuit Brother Guy Consolmagno of the Vatican Observatory talks about the possibility that the Star of Bethlehem was a real astronomical event.
It was a real ASTROLOGICAL event. The Magi had their own astrological system, which, being the source of their livelihood, was a trade secret and not written down. We do know that Mesopotamian astrologers did not limit themselves to objects outside our atmosphere; in some of their texts, they even refer to a ring around the moon as a "star". Precisely NOTHING in astronomy -- certainly none of the events mentioned here -- could act as the "star" is described as acting -- particularly when it comes to resting over where the Child lay. That just means that a modern astronomer has no special insight into a 2000 year old extinct astrological tradition, which is no surprise at all. (To say that the whole story is cooked up as a lie concealing the truth of the divinity of Christ is still to make it a lie, though. Jesuits once knew better.)
Please see also this: http://newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/2012/01/it-is-mistake-to-try-to-discover-which.html.
No, and I am not willing to spend an hour trying to find out what your point is. The intro makes it look like the kind of well-meaning but hopelessly naive Protestant production I grew up with -- the sort of thing that believes that "Joshua's long day" was discovered somehow by NASA computers (it was probably a local miracle only, like the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima). If you want me to watch that video, I'll need to know it's worth my time, so could you tell me what I would be watching? (After all, I didn't just point you at BABYLONIAN STAR LORE by Gavin White and tell you to read the book before answering.) Otherwise, I'll stick with Catholic tradition and say that the Star of Bethlehem, which is after all described in a way incompatible with astronomy, was not astronomical.
This morning on BBC TV Sunday Morning Live there was a good debate inspired by Melinda Gates (who identifies as Catholic) comments about the pope potentially changing doctrine on contraception. The Catholic contributors were Fr Paddy McCafferty, Clare Short and Obianuju Ekeocha. I think they did really well. Uju's direction is very interesting and easily wrong foots those who want to impose western ideas of morality on Africans in an imperialistic way. Interesting that the presenter agrees with her on this. Fr Paddy gave a great account of his experience as a priest. He was compassionate, realistic and honest, while upholding the value and importance of the doctrine. Clare said she had experience of both ways and the Catholic way is better by far. I thought that was awesome! I especially liked her focus on equality and bringing the responsibility of both husband & wife into the discussion. Watch out for the bit where the other lady says "Pope Francis has ind...
Above: The Marian Franciscans at last year's March4Life where I last met them. Has Bishop Egan completely capitulated to progressivism? Is he under pressure to conform to the establishment? Is he trying to be "inclusive"? Is he in the running for Westminster, perhaps? I honestly never thought I would find myself concerned with the bishop of Portsmouth, Philip Egan. When discussing who Catholics can trust in the episcopacy, his name is always mentioned as a solid bishop. Egan, 67, has been bishop of Portsmouth diocese since 2012 and has long been considered a safe pair of hands by faithful Catholics. In a 2014 interview, he generated controversy for his views that MPs who voted for same-sex marriage should be banned from receiving communion . He also wrote to PM David Cameron regarding so called same sex marriage. He has a decent record of standing up for the faith, but something seems awry lately . For example, I hear whispers that there is a serious disregard for catec...
You may remember I drew attention to a meeting of ACTA in Caterham recently which was condoned and even supported by Bishop Kieran Conry. Protect The Pope had a communication from a reader who was present for some of the meeting and reported the following: 'I left just as we were being broken into Discussion Groups, and I was not the only one. Wish I had the courage and knowledge to stay and argue but I was shaking the whole way through. First up, after some prayers asking for guidance, was a meditation about a round table; to make a round table hurts the wood and the people (?) but you end up with a table around which everyone sits in equality, no head of the table. No elaboration was given, but I imagine this is a hint of the levelling of the church hierarchy. There was a talk by Brian Pointer, Chairman A&B ACTA, briefly outlining the origins of ACTA and how some single ideals which were overwhelmingly important to individuals had to be ironed out as they couldn’t acco...
It was a real ASTROLOGICAL event. The Magi had their own astrological system, which, being the source of their livelihood, was a trade secret and not written down. We do know that Mesopotamian astrologers did not limit themselves to objects outside our atmosphere; in some of their texts, they even refer to a ring around the moon as a "star". Precisely NOTHING in astronomy -- certainly none of the events mentioned here -- could act as the "star" is described as acting -- particularly when it comes to resting over where the Child lay. That just means that a modern astronomer has no special insight into a 2000 year old extinct astrological tradition, which is no surprise at all. (To say that the whole story is cooked up as a lie concealing the truth of the divinity of Christ is still to make it a lie, though. Jesuits once knew better.)
ReplyDeletePlease see also this: http://newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/2012/01/it-is-mistake-to-try-to-discover-which.html.
Ever seen this Howard?
Deletehttp://youtu.be/zPHKg0M3mEo
No, and I am not willing to spend an hour trying to find out what your point is. The intro makes it look like the kind of well-meaning but hopelessly naive Protestant production I grew up with -- the sort of thing that believes that "Joshua's long day" was discovered somehow by NASA computers (it was probably a local miracle only, like the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima). If you want me to watch that video, I'll need to know it's worth my time, so could you tell me what I would be watching? (After all, I didn't just point you at BABYLONIAN STAR LORE by Gavin White and tell you to read the book before answering.) Otherwise, I'll stick with Catholic tradition and say that the Star of Bethlehem, which is after all described in a way incompatible with astronomy, was not astronomical.
Delete