Focusing on Kerygma

 

Given the poisonous atmosphere in the Catholic Church at the moment and the division and confusion I feel is a direct result of the current occupant of the Throne of Peter, I have found myself increasingly returning to Sacred Scripture, which is a great love of mine. It makes me wonder why I don't see more clergy addressing basic questions about the faith in the public sphere. 

The New Atheism we are experiencing today has a tendency to ridicule Christian beliefs. It portrays them as ridiculous and meaningless, but they objectively are not and one does not need to rely purely on faith in order to demonstrate that is the case.

My 8 year old daughter asked me this week why Jesus asks us to eat Him in Holy Communion. What a great question. How many of us can answer it?

Why did Jesus have to die?

Why did God create Hell?

Why does God allow suffering?

These are all completely reasonable questions people have and explaining them constitutes the real business of Christian proclamation. The thing is, for me anyway, it seems many Catholics don't know about that (or don't care). And yet I still find it deeply fascinating. I still find it (the Kerygma or Good News about Jesus) resonates deep inside me and I want to hear it and ask questions and share it.

It seems, increasingly, more lay people are involved with this work.

Here's a good example of what I mean:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem is the Bishops - Dr Janet Smith.

Real Life Catholics on BBC TV defend Church Teaching on Contraception.

New Head of the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith